TangoWiki (and MediaWiki) distinguish between the following link types:
- Internal Links: Links to other pages within the wiki. (=Wiki links)
- External Links: Links to other pages on the internet.
- InterWiki Links: Links to other Wikis or other language areas of TangoWiki.
To create an internal link to any other page on the wiki, just put the word(s) (i.e. the target page title) into two pairs of square brackets. After saving the article the link will appear on the page. If the linked page already exists, the link will appear in blue font. If not, the text will be shown in red. This also applies to links that have the wrong spelling.
To add a new link, you can always use the chain symbol in the edit tool bar. See more in Text formatting.
|Internal link with different text||
||back to Main Page|
|Internal link with jump label/anchor
Anchors are automatically applied for all headings and the start of the page #top
||to the Weblinks|
|Link to a category||
|Link to a category with different text||
||All help articles|
|Internal link to an image file (will show the image)||
|Internal link to a file (links the file)||
|Redirection to another page||
||→ Main Page|
[[Help:Short instruction|]] will show as
Short instruction and will be saved as
[[Help:Short instruction|Short instruction]]. It spares you the time of writing the same title without prefix again. The pipe does this job for you.
- Linking to a category is different than sorting a page into a category! See also Add categories to article for this.
- The first letter of an internal link will automatically be capitalized. Blank spaces will be converted to an underscore. You can place underscores yourself, but that is not recommended.
External Links and InterWiki Links
|External link with different text||
|External link without name||
|Interwiki link with different text||
|Interwiki link to Wikipedia (to the German Wikipedia)||
|Interwiki link to other language areas of TangoWiki
Is used for language links of similar pages at the end of the source code
||language link in the navigation menu on the left|