The file must be uploaded for this to work and the filename must be known.
Like this, a file "Books" gets inserted with the code:
[[File:Books.png|thumb|left|This is a testimage.]]
[[File:Filename|Width in px|Alignation|Alt text (Description, Caption)]]
There are certain parameters that can be used while adding an image:
- none (=Default, usually "left").
Linking to a file
When using a different code, one can directly link to a file instead of displaying it:
Images are stored in the image database on the subpage commons.tangowiki.org.
Images suitable for TangoWiki have a license similar or looser than the TangoWiki itself.
The following image licenses can be chosen when uploading an image:
I don't know the license/copyright.
This is shown as "Unknown copyright". Choose this, if you are not yet sure about the license (but have tried everything to find it out). Try to avoid this category, as the image might get deleted, if the copyright holder cannot be found.
Own work is really own work. It does not include scans, photos and adaptation of other's works! If you release own work, you can choose between 2 licenses:
- CC0 1.0 (Public Domain): Everybody can use this image for everything. You release it out into the wild.
- CC BY-NC-SA 4.0: TangoWiki's license. The image can be used, but is released under TangoWiki's license, hence it can be shared and adapted, as long as attribution is made, it is not commercially used and it is distributed under the same license as the original.
- TangoWiki screenshot: TangoWiki screenshots are licensed under the same license as content, hence CC BY-NC-SA.
- Public Domain CC0 1.0 Universal version 1.0 –"Approved for Free Cultural Works"
- Attribution CC BY version 4.0 – "Approved for Free Cultural Works"
- Attribution-ShareAlike CC BY-SA version 4.0 – "Approved for Free Cultural Works"
- Attribution-NoDerivs CC BY-ND version 4.0
- Attribution-NonCommercial CC BY-NC version 4.0
- Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike CC BY-NC-SA, version 4.0 (=license of TangoWiki)
All images licensed under licenses from Creative Commons are suitable for TangoWiki, except Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs CC BY-NC-ND version 4.0.
GNU by the Free Software Foundation
- GNU General Public License, Version 3 (GNU GPL, GPL, GPLv3, GNUGPL, GNUGPLv3) GNU version 3
- GNU General Public License, Version 2 (GPLv2) GNU version 2
- GNU Free Documentation License (GNU FDL, GFDL) GFDL
Licenses that cannot yet be chosen as they need templates first:
*GNU Lesser General Public LIcense, Version 3 (LGPLv3, LGPL) [http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl LGPL version 3] *GNU Affero General Public License, Version 3 (AGPLv3, AGPL, AGPLv3.0) [http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0 AGPL version 3] *GNU All-Permissive LIcense (GNUAllPermissive) [http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices-for-Other-Files.html GNU ALLPermissive] *[http://artlibre.org/licence/lal/en/ Free Art License 1.3]
Attribution for images
When talking about "attribution" for images, what to include?
In general, the following parts should be included:
- Title of the image (if existing), possibly with link to the source of the image
- Author of the image, with link to profile page, website, contact page etc.
- Source of the image (where it is to be found, if it is somewhere else orginally hosted), with link
- License, with link to the license
On the web, the title can be linked to the source, the author can be linked to the profile page, website, contact page etc.
Image licenses not suitable for TangoWiki
The following licenses are not suitable for TangoWiki (hence, images must not be uploaded):
- Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs CC BY-NC-ND version 4.0
- Technical help for images in wikis on Help:Images on MediaWiki.org
- Licenses on Definition of Free Cultural Works, overview over different licenses
- Infographic about attribution of Creative Commons images on foter.com (2015-03-04, last seen on 2015-05-04).
- CC Wiki, wiki of Creative Commons
- See the Creative Commons wiki for more detailled information.